Crafting Chavs

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Somehow I made two dresses this semester

Fabric from Joann (probably)
 It's pretty rare that I have two projects going at once. Even if I know I'm going to hate something, I just keep dubiously sewing until it's done. Luckily I did that for this number. 

I taught someone to sew using this dress pattern. We made the same dress and it was a lot of fun. But, when I put the top to the bottom and tried it on, I just thought it was so Meh. I really like the color of this fabric, but it was so boring! So I gave up on it for awhile. The girl I taught to sew finished her dress and it looked really great. I knew it wasn't a lost cause! Because I don't have time to just sit around thinking about design ideas, like a good sweatshop worker, I started a new dress.

Red fabric from Joann or something. Collar piece from The Common Thread

Excuse the missing leg.
Since I always have about 10+ projects in my head, there's always something else to work on. The fabric is a white pin dot quilter's cotton. I ended up with an unwanted $50 gift card to The Common Thread, so I went thinking I'd get notions (which I did), but also finally bought a nice pair of Gingher scissors. They cost $40 and are amazing! I never realized that people weren't lying when they said you HAVE to get a good pair of fabric scissors. What's the difference? THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. My new ones have little ridges that grip the fabric as you're cutting. Even when I cut out the lining (which I ended up not using), it didn't slide around at all.

Worth it. Especially if you can get them with a gift card you just happened to receive.


I changed the back skirt a little. Originally, it had these terrible pleats that made it look like I was wearing a diaper underneath. Seeing how my sewing exploits had been less than successful so far this year, I was worried I was losing my abilities. I was also surprised to learn there is no "back" drawing on Burda patterns, so I really had no idea there were back pleats until I was making them. Anyway, I cut out the lining piece with the real fabric, which only has darts and that made it look much better. This picture is before ironing, it looked better when I wore it. The collar is made out of the most luxurious cotton (there must be something else in there, but I don't check) which is funny, because it really doesn't matter, it's the collar.

Anyway, while I was working on this, I decided I'd do a little embroidery on the mint dress:

Embroidery pattern from Sublime Stitching

And just that dinky little thing on the front really made the dress! I felt like this when I wore it:

 So, lesson learned. If something's not working, put it aside. You'll either come up with something or you won't.

1 Comments:

Blogger connie said...

what does "so Meh" mean? Lovely job! I like your attitude. Never give up on sewing. And, never use your sewing scissors on paper or anything else!

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home