Crafting Chavs

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Green shirt

After sewing so many dresses, I felt it was time to make a shirt. I have two pieces of fabric that are enough for a shirt so chose to begin with the green (the blue pattern material in the background is next). I took out all my shirt patterns and found that the amount of fabric I had fit only one - Butterick B5283. I didn't have enough fabric for my first choice so settled on this one. This style is typically one I don't like on me because the bodice never seems to fit correctly but I am quite pleased with how this one turned out (I even received a compliment from my husband on the look and the color!).


History: I don't recall where or when I got this fabric. It has a soft, fluid feel - a very pleasant feel! The pattern has a twist in the bodice, which I had always wondered how to do. It's so easy but does leave a gap at the top of that upward swoop. I can't have a peek-a-boo right there so I tacked that closed. The hem at the top of the back is just that, no facing, which I didn't like so I sewed some seam binding across that. It turns out I actually had a remnant that is a very close match in color to the fabric. It pays to hoard! After I finish the blue shirt (already matched that to a pattern, too), I will return to this pattern and make the view I had first chosen; it just takes more yardage than I had in the green.


Time to make: Very quick! I cut it out on Saturday, started sewing on Sunday and, if I hadn't been distracted by a movie, would have finished it on Sunday. I had to sew the hems during the week. And that includes a couple of seam-ripping sessions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home