Crafting Chavs

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Librarian Bag

Sublime Stitching embroidery pattern
Bag from Cheap Totes
Going to have to make this quick. Stem stitch on the libarian, split stitch on the books. Slightly worried it looks like Sarah Palin. But she doesn't read, so that's the distinction.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Custom pattern, custom belt

Self-Made pattern (with a little help from New Look 6872)
fabric from Hancock
I was getting sick of my jean skirts made from old pants, hence two denim skirts in a row.
I don't know if it was because I had all the time in the world, but this pattern was relatively painless. Normally I stay away from making my own patterns since they're so time consuming. I used the New Look pattern as a base but made the waistband narrower and cut the front pieces in half and added a band for the buttons.
I probably will never work with denim again, I broke about 6 needles, two of which were denim needles.
And this arrived in the mail last week:
My belt from Pat's Custom Belts! I got the catalog for Christmas and finally sent in my fabric. Didn't take more than a week and cost $18 including tax and shipping. I wasn't really sure what to do with this fabric, but I love it as a belt so I'm happy I never gave it to Goodwill.
Pat's at 209-369-5410 if you want a catalog.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Day of School Dress!

McCall's 5804
Fabric from Hancock
I'm supposed to be on a no-fabric-for-a-year rule, but who could resist lemons on black? This isn't the only time I've broken that rule anyway, so maybe I'll try again in 2011.
Another Hilary Duff pattern. I have to admit, they were pretty good. Too bad she's not making them anymore.
Crafternoon Projects
August's crafternoon was Camp Crafts. I made my very first God's Eye..
And then spent the rest of the time on this friendship bracelet. Probably the last one I will ever make because it's so time consuming.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I need to keep up with Mom!

Burda 8155
Denim from who knows where...
Mom surprised me with her annual post and then surprised me again with another one!!
This is what I've been working on in my last few weeks before classes.
Denim skirt to go with my tie blouse. I made this awhile ago in green wool. This is a pattern I don't mind making twice since it fits so well. I've had this denim for years (years!!) and have almost given it away about 50 times before deciding what to do with it. This is why I stash fabric.

Simplicity 9097
Fabric from The Quilting Loft
Vintage pattern. I love that some (I assume) kid drew glasses on the girls on the front of the pattern.

This was a "Learn to Sew" pattern and I actually found it to be a little confusing. Glad I didn't learn to sew using this one.

13 fabric covered buttons down the front. It's a really comfortable dress!
I can't believe that with a month of unemployment, I've only finished two things! More to come...

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Blue Dress Part 1

Today, I finished the blue dress. The fabric was purchased at Tina's in Seattle, an adventure in fabric shopping! The bolts are stacked, piled high, or just leaning against each other. I found this fabric on a table with another bolt of blue-patterned fabric on a sheer backing. I plan to make Part 2 out of that fabric, and wear both together. The pattern is Butterick B5147. Adventures that occurred during this project: not reading the pattern and discovering that the dress is lined, which required another trip to the fabric store; taking a lengthy search through my craft room to find the hem tape I swear I purchased but failing to do so (I had to use a backup, darker color).

Purple Suit

I moved to Burien almost 3 years ago. Before the move, the Hancock Fabrics store in Bremerton closed down. I took advantage of the price reductions on several items, one of which was a lot of yardage of the purple tweed used in this suit. I cut out the pattern before I moved, started on the suit, and finally got it done a couple of months ago. It will be worn when it's colder, obviously.

I lined it with pink, and added two buttons to each sleeve. I planned on 3 but used 3 on the front and didn't buy enough extra. We used the pattern to make a brown, fake-fur coat. I just cut off the length for this one. Plus, I added pockets to the front.